Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wes Unseld 2010


Wes Unseld Drawing

Washington Bullets retired Center/Forward, Hall of Famer. I have never really liked basketball. I was never good at it, and don't really like to watch it. Basketball does however hold a special place in my heart. It is my fathers favorite sport. I still have his adult recreation league championship trophy from the year I was born. When I was a little boy, Pop took me to my first professional sports event. It was a Washington Bullets game at the old Capital Center. The Bullets played the Seattle Supersonics, and we got there early so we could see the pre-game shoot around. We went down to court side, and I got autographs from Wes Unseld, and Kevin Greavy.
Wes was the second pick overall in the 1968 draft. That year he won Rookie of the Year Honors as well as League MVP (only the second player ever to do so behind Wilt Chamberlain). Regarded as one of the best defensive players of his era, Wes lead the NBA in rebounds in 1975. Wes played his entire career with the Washington Bullets (1968-1981). Wes was enshrined into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1988.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steve,

    It was fun meeting you at the game yesterday. Thanks for sharing your awesome illustrations and for snapping some great pictures. Your blog is GREAT!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete